HOW IT WORKS.
THE SCIENCE BEHIND AFFINITY ALTITUDE
The theory behind altitude training is simple – by exposing an individual to an environment that is low in oxygen, the body will adapt to this stress and improve its efficiency at transporting and using oxygen.
Sleeping in a simulated altitude environment will trigger your body to increase the production of erythropoietin (EPO), which will subsequently increase the number and concentration of red blood cells in your blood circulatory system. Ultimately this will increase your oxygen carrying efficiency, allowing you to train harder for longer and with a reduced perceived effort.
Altitude simulation can be an effective method of training for all levels of athletes or sports requiring endurance – thus benefiting runners, triathletes, cyclists footballers, swimmers, mountain climbers and those in any other sport where physical endurance is an asset.
Our altitude tents can be used alone, or alongside altitude training camps. If you have been training in a high altitude camp, simulated altitude systems can be used beforehand to accelerate your adaption to altitude and afterward to maintain the benefits of your altitude training for longer.
Benefits for sports performance include:
- Improved strength and endurance
- Increased exercise-till-exhaustion time
- Increased VO2 Max
- Reduced recovery time after exertion
- Decreased resting heart-rate and blood pressure
- Maintenance of cardiovascular fitness when injured
- Diminished overall fatigue
- Pre acclimatisation prior to training or competing at altitude
- Post altitude training to prolong physiological benefits
**For a more in depth understanding of how altitude training improves performance, we have this covered in our “The Science Behind cont.” blog!**