HOW IT WORKS.
THE SCIENCE BEHIND AFFINITY ALTITUDE
The theory behind altitude training is simple – by exposing an individual to an environment that is low in oxygen, the body will adapt to this stress and improve its efficiency at transporting and using oxygen.
Sleeping in a simulated altitude environment, using an altitude tent, will trick the body into thinking it’s at altitude. The kidneys then produce natural EPO (extra red blood cells) which will take 3 weeks to mature. This will increase the size of your ‘engine’ allowing you to train harder for longer and reduce perceived effort.
Altitude simulation can be an effective method of training for all levels of athletes or sports requiring endurance thus benefiting runners, footballers, cyclists, swimmers, triathletes and mountain climbers. They can all benefit from either sleeping at altitude or training at altitude.
If you have been training in a high altitude camp, simulated altitude systems enable you to maintain the benefits of your altitude training for longer.
- Benefits for Sports Performance include:
- Enhanced power output and speed.
- Improved strength and endurance.
- Increased exercise-till- exhaustion time.
- Reduced recovery time after exertion.
- Decreased resting heart-rate and blood pressure.
- Maintenance of cardiovascular fitness when injured.
- Diminished overall fatigue.
- Pre acclimatisation prior to training or competing at altitude.